Guidelines on Dissertation Defense
- The student must register in the Dissertation activity in the current semester.
- The student must fill out the Official Letter for Scheduling the Comprehensive Exam or the Dissertation and send it to the e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- The student’s adviser is responsible for appointing the examining committee, which must be in accordance with PPGSP Internal Regulations:
Art. 60. The defense committee shall be composed of professors with qualified training, including the adviser and a substitute, with its members appointed by the adviser and designated by the Graduate Program or the Course Coordination.
§1º. For Master’s, the defense committee will be composed of a minimum of three (3) members:
I. By the student’s adviser;
II. At least one faculty member linked to the PPGSP;
III. At least one professor, researcher or professional external to the PPGSP who meets the requirements regarding their respective degrees and qualifications;
IV. By a substitute who must have mastery of the topic or methodology of the dissertation project.
§2º. In case of co-supervision of the student’s research, the respective professor may be a fourth (4th) member of the examining committee.
- The student needs to send proof of submission of scientific article OR book publication. As provided in Article 41 of the Internal Regulations:
VIII. To be qualified for the defense, it is mandatory to have at least one (1) scientific article submitted (letter of proof of submission for evaluation) for publication in a journal recognized by Qualis in the area of Collective Health (in force during the referred period) classified at the level B2 or higher OR to have an approved or published book chapter classified at the level L1 or higher, related to the object of research.
- The secretariat registers the committee in the UFC academic system (SIGAA) and reserves the classroom or the virtual web conference room.
- After the defense, the adviser must forward the minute signed by the examining committee members to the email: email@example.com .
- The secretariat consolidates the Dissertation activity with the concept: Approved or Not Approved.